Valencia — Silk Exchange
Silk Exchange of Valencia, or the Merchant Exchange, nahoditsya in the historic part of the city at the market square in front of the Church of St. John the Baptist and the Central Market of Valencia. Silk Exchange is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture of Valencia and is included in the UNESCO World Heritage spisok.
Throughout the 15th century, Valencia was one of the key trading hubs in the Mediterranean, and by mid-century trade in the city has reached a peak, chto City Council decided to build a place of humble premises of the old stock exchange in the square of Dr. Collado greater rigor new exchange that would "inspire respect for this outstanding city. " The new exchange was built for the needs of traders who trade operations conducted there by bolshey part, with silk (this material is in great demand in and around the city of Valencia).
In 1481, commissioned the construction mason, architect and engineer Pere Compte, who has already shown his skills in the construction of the cathedral of Valencia sobora. In addition to his work on the construction of several masons, the most famous of which Joan Ivarra (who worked with Compte), Joan Korber (who worked with 1506g after the death Compte) and assistants Korber Miguel de Magaña and Domingo de Urtiaga (completed stroitelstvo Exchange in 1548g ).
Externally exchange for its massive walls with teeth like a medieval castle and embodies the economic power of the middle of Valencia 15c. The total building area is 2000 square meters okolo. Exchange in terms of square is a fine example of European Gothic architecture: the massive facades with patterned brickwork, Luxurious reliefs, narrow windows, gargoyles, majestic battlements adorned royal crowns. The main (west) facade of the exchange is the Plaza del Mercado, east facade facing the street Lonha; smotrit north facade to the street Kordelyats and the south - the pedestrian street.
Silk Exchange is composed of four parts: the main tower, where there was a prison in which before the arrival of the authorized persons holding vorov, as well as the guilty traders; Marine Corps consulate; Orange yard, as well as Columns or sales area. The latter is a spacious room with three longitudinal aisles and vaults on nervyurnymi potolke supported by shestnadtsatimetrovymi spiral columns. The Exchange was designed as a temple of commerce, and its interior has a symbolic character: the kind of paradise in which the columns resemble palm trees, and the ceiling - a heavenly svod. Right in the center of the ceiling one can see four shield of Aragon Crown.
From the columned hall decorated by ornament in the form of bizarre shapes, and engraved on the stone of leaves can be input popast in Orange secluded courtyard with a fountain. To the left of the Hall of Columns, on the part of the market square, there is a door leading to the medieval chapel of the Virgin of Mercy (1499). A few meters from the historic chapel inside Kolonnogo hall also houses a Gothic carved entrance to the main tower, enclosed iron bars. Entrance arch to the top of the ornament is decorated with vegetable and side the figure of a naked man kotory with a bag in hand runs away from the pursuer. You can also see the figure of a flying woman he bites his chest dragon, symbolizing the penalty incurred by the immoral woman for svoi sins.
Marine Corps consulate was built between 1497 and 1548 years and is a synthesis of Gothic and Renaissance styles. The housing consists of a basement, ground floor, the main hall and the upper floor. In the lower floor, which originally met Tribunal maritime trade can popast two ways: through the Gothic door in the garden, or through the door in the bottom of the main tower. In the main hall can be reached by climbing the wide staircase leading to the garden. Ett Hall is also called the Golden komnatoy because since 1920 there are gold-plated patterned elements of the interior of the house the Town Hall, which burnt down in 1585.