During the Roman Empire, Tarragona was the capital of Nearer Spain. And to this day remain numerous architectural monuments of the period. The walls surrounding the historic part of the city were built in the III century BC, after they were subjected to the Reformation in the Middle Ages.
Attractions of Tarragona:
- Aqueduct las Ferreras (also called "Devil's Bridge» - «Pont del Diable») was built in the I century BC to get water in the ancient Roman city of Tarraco river Gaia (Rio Gaya). It is outside of Tarragona in 4 km. in the north. In 2000, the Aqueduct was awarded the status of World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Amphitheatre Tarraco was part of a trio of buildings designed in Roman times to show different performances (theater, circus and amphitheater). Amphitheater is located just outside the ramparts of the city right on the coast. It was built in the II century BC Place for the construction of the amphitheater was chosen in a special way, it was located near the imperial road Via Augusta and close to the shore to which the animals were brought to ideas.
- Arch Bar is located at 20 km. from Tarragona along the way in August (Via Augusta) near the settlement Roda de Bara (Roda de Bara). It is simple in its design, arch 12 meters high was built according to the will of Lucius Licinius Sura, a representative of a noble Roman family name.
- Scipio Tower is located near the Via August 6 km. north of Tarragona. The tower is a Roman funerary monument erected in honor of the brothers Scipio.
- Cathedral of St. Thecla (Santa Tecla) the most important and famous monument of Tarragona. Construction of the cathedral began in 1171 on the site of the Roman Temple of Jupiter, who first succeeded Visigoth church and later a mosque. The cathedral was consecrated in 1331 while he was still unfinished, the building was completed in 1350, the architect of the cathedral were Raymond de Mila, master Bertomeau and Guillaume Clergue.
- The wall is a military installation Roman times (it was built in the III-II century BC). The fortress wall is one of the places in the archaeological complex of Tarragona (Conjunto arqueologico de Tarraco), referred to the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Monastery of the Virgin Mary in Poblete is in the valley of the river Francoli and is one of the most important shrines of the Catalan. The monastery was built in 1151 It was founded by Ramon Berenguer IV., Catalonia freed from the power of the Moors.
- Monastery of the Holy Cross, Seville. The monastery is situated 35 km. from Tarragona on the highway S246. There is a bus service to the city.
- Museum of Early Christianity, Seville. The museum was founded in 1923, its core collection was made up of more than 2,000 early Christian tombs discovered during the reconstruction of the tobacco factory at a depth of 1.8 meters. They all belong to the III-IV c. and are a rare collection of evidence for the completeness of the era of the early Christians.
- Pretoria is located next to the Archaeological Museum in the Royal Square (Placa del Rei). This is a Roman construction was built in the I century. (At the time of the Emperor Vespasian). Pretoria is also known as the Tower of Pilate or the Royal Castle. During Roman times, the building was part of a complex area of ??the provincial forum. In the Middle Ages it has been restored. In the XIV century. palace belonged to the Catalano-Aragonese kings, and in 1813 the building was partially destroyed during the war for independence.
- From the balcony of the Mediterranean begins the main street of the city - the Rambla Nova (or New Prospect). This is a broad avenue, designed to walk the length of 1 kilometer is a symbol of modern Tarragona and is the center of the new city building, designed in 1855 Josep Krivilerom.
- Rimcky City Forum, commonly referred to as a forum colony or community forum, located one mile from the old town. On its territory remains of several ancient buildings, including the ancient basilica, built in the time of Emperor Augustus. From it a few columns and oil. The forum met local senate held hearings and administrative issues were solved.
- Roman circus of Tarraco (Tarragona), built by the Emperor Domitian (Titus Flavius ??Domitianus, 51-96), was a truly grandiose construction. According to various sources, he could accommodate about 30 thousand spectators (despite the fact that the entire population of Tarraco at that time did not exceed 40 thousand inhabitants). Had a length of 325 meters and a width of about 100-115 meters.
Map of Tarragona: