Alcala de Henares
Alcala de Henares was granted city status in the 17th century, just after his appearance on the historical map of the Iberian peninsula in 1687 by decree of Charles II, one of the oldest centers of culture, crafts and trade, located in the heart of Castile (Spain) at the crossroads of the ancient paths, received finally, the right to be called a barrage.
Attractions Alcala de Henares:
- Archbishop's Palace - located in the Palace Square is about a 8-10 minute walk to the north-east of the Cathedral of Alcala.
- «Gate of martyrs" - located on the square of the same name about a 8-10 minute walk to the north-east of the University of Alcala. They were originally called the gate of Guadalajara, as they carried through the entrance to the road leading to Guadalajara. These were the main gate of the medieval city wall, extended in the second half of the 14th century.
- Comedy Theatre in the Plaza Cervantes in Alcala is the oldest Corral (the name of the first theaters in Spain ages 16-17) in Europe. Theatre is a unique piece of European architecture, since its inception here played and performed for four centuries.
- Area Cervantes is located a minute's walk from the University and the College of San Ildefonso. It was built around the 13th century. Although initially the area was outside the city walls, later it became part of Alcala, and since the 16th century has evolved into a social and cultural center of the city, which is to this day.
- main cathedral church of Sts children (Justo and Pastor) located on the street Calle tierce about a 8-10 minute walk to the south-west of the Bishops' Palace.
- Cervantes House-Museum is located on Calle Mayor ("Main Street"), about a four minute walk to the north-east of the Cathedral. It is a museum located in the house where, according to the research, was born and spent his early years by the novel "The Ingenious Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha", the Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes.
- University and the College of San Ildefonso in Alcala de Henares is a minute walk from the Plaza Cervantes. It was founded in 1499 by Cardinal Cisneros on the basis of higher education that existed in Alcala with the May 20, 1293 by order of the king of Castile and Leon Sancho IV the Brave (or Castilian).
Map of Alcala de Henares: